On roads, in parking lots or in areas where heavy electrical machines are employed, one comes across signs, boards, and labels that are used for safety against any accident or any mishap. These are referred to as safety zone markings. Apart from surroundings with heavy electrical machines, they are also used in areas where the commuters might skid or fall on passageways or floors where tasks of cleaning or repairing are being done. These are markings of yellow, black, green, white, orange colors used in storage areas, stores, roads, and passageways to improve standards of safety. Either paints or permanent tough tapes are used to make the safety zone markings. The permanent paints are sometimes given a tough coat to prevent them from wearing out.
While on road, there are safety zone markings for the speed limit, construction areas, schools and hospitals, highways, traffic control and efficient flow of the traffic. There are floor markings along with boards. They guide you to drive carefully on the road or cross the roads so that safety is maintained. In under construction areas, different colored barricades and boards are used to prevent the commuters from any harm and to caution them. While marking the safety zone on roads, factories, shops, etc. the dimension, shape, and size of the markings must be taken care of.
Thumb Rules for Safety Zone Markings
The safety of any workplace is of utmost priority. There are certain things one must always take care of and follow in case of marking safe zones;
1. Using standard marking materials – By making a note of what kind and how much materials does one need, it becomes easier to have a stock full of that particular type without wasting much time and juggling between different types of materials. Some prefer to go with colored tapes while some use permanent tough coated colors for safety zone markings. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Hence, one must choose based on the requirement. People mostly use colored tapes considering that it is easy to use and apply, it is durable because of the polymer used, its use is quite versatile, it is break resistant and most importantly extremely affordable.
2. Color coding – It is important to keep in mind the purpose of different colors in safety zone markings. Black and yellow are together used in areas to represent caution or where the public is required to be alert from any hazard. Solid yellow color is used for safe marking passageways and aisles. Black and white together is used for fencing or creating a boundary where a safe zone begins or ends. Red and white tapes are together used for safety against fire or near fire extinguishers. Solid white color is used in areas where safety equipment is kept.
3. Marking according to dimension, shape, and guidelines – For different machines and equipment, there are different guidelines to be followed for marking the safe zone areas. They are decided keeping is minded the distance to be maintained, the size of machines, electrical insulation, and other pre-defined rules.
4. Maintenance and regular inspection – The condition of the tapes and paints must be examined Regular inspection helps in easy maintenance of safety. The inspectors must ensure proper cleaning, identifying the discontinuity in the marking patterns and thus repair the safety zone markings.
5. Employing trained individuals – The workers need to know the color codes and applying techniques, and they must be trained with skills of identifying problems and reporting them correctly. Employing trained individuals thus increases the level of safety and precaution.
Benefits of Using Safety Zone Markings
- Manages space and capacity efficiently.
- Keeps the public cautious and alert.
Maintains safety without causing any confusion or rush.