We face many dental problems due to several reasons including bad dental habits. Tooth decay is one of the most common problems faced by most of the people at some point in time. If this decay is left untreated, it proceeds deep inside your tooth and reaches the tissue called pulp tissue. Then, you look for the treatment options to solve this problem. There are several treatments available for your dental problems, however, root canal treatment is the one used by most of the dentists to replace the infected pulp with the filling. Although, it is considered as one of the scary procedures by the patients, it saves your teeth which otherwise is required to be removed. There are several reasons why you should choose root canal over other procedures. Let’s have a look at them in detail.
1. Reduces pain- There is a myth surrounding root canal treatment that it is a very painful procedure. In reality, it gives you relief from the daily pain you are bearing due to the infected tooth. The nerve located inside the tooth experiences pressure and hence you feel extreme pain. In root canal therapy, the nerve is removed, so there will not be any pain. At the same time, the space is filled with an inert material. So, there won’t be any pain inside the tooth as well. If during the procedure your tooth is removed, the dentist gives local anesthesia, so you don’t experience any discomfort. The effects of root canal will go away in a few days and so as the pain related to infected tooth.
2. Obstruct infection- Although your tooth is infected, it does not mean that the infection will remain there only. The inner part of the tooth is like a shelter for bacteria and hence the infection spreads in other areas as well. It can spread into the bone and other teeth causing discomfort and pain. It can spread into sinuses and travel to the brain or it can travel to your heart and lungs also with serious or even deadly effects. However, root canal treatment removes the infection to safeguard your overall health and eventually your life from bacteria.
3. Save your tooth- When you have an infected tooth, you have two option to treat the infection; root canal treatment or extraction. Extraction leaves a gap between your teeth spoiling your smile and hence you need to treat it further with the options like dental implant or partial denture. Root canal therapy, on the other hand saves the structure of natural tooth. Your tooth is restored and becomes fully functional again with just a filling or cap.
4. Repairs your smile- The infected tooth often gets badly discolored. The discoloration is the effect of growing bacteria inside the tooth and its negative impact on the pulp. Due to this, the tooth turns very dark’ either brown or black. It is highly visible and ruins your smile. The methods like tooth whitening cannot cure this discoloration. But, with root canal treatment, the dentists ensure that your smile remains as beautiful as it was in the past. The infected tooth which has got discolored is covered with the crown delivering a new, beautiful appearance to it.
5. Prevents you from dental implant- As mentioned earlier, if you go for the extraction of the infected tooth, you have to replace your tooth with the dental implant. This means that your natural tooth will not be back. However, if you decide to go for root canal treatment, you don’t need to go for dental implants immediately. This treatment can save your tooth for good 10 to 15 years.
These are the benefits of root canal therapy that make it the best treatment for tooth infection and decay.