Many house owners prefer wooden floors in their living rooms and bedrooms, as the wooden flooring is most environment-friendly and imparts an aesthetic look to the interiors. In Australia and surrounding countries, tas oak is a favorite material used for flooring in residential buildings. It is a high-quality timber that is chiefly available in the forests of Tasmania, the island state of Australia. Tasmanian oak wood is also known as Victorian ash, Australian oak, Alpine ash and many other names. This type of timber is very popular among the builders and homeowners due to its beneficial characteristics that help in making awesome floors.
Notable Qualities of Tas Oak That Suits for Flooring
- Available in Variety of Light Shades – Tasmanian oak is available in a variety of light colors, among which straw color, light reddish brown, cream and pink are most popular for residential flooring. Moreover, this tas oak has great staining quality. So more interesting shades can be added to this wood and it can be used with all types of interior color scheme.
- Moderately Coarse Grains – A primary quality of tas oak is the visibility of the growth rings that generally show the age of a tree. This wood is marked with medium level of coarse grains, which are consistently even. Thus, it is considered as the best choice for flooring at common homes.
- Lightweight and Average Density – It is seen that the Tasmanian oak has a very light weight that makes it easy to handle while using for flooring or any other purpose. Moreover, its density varies from 650 to 1050 kg/m3, for which it can be cut without much effort. Though it is known as a hardwood, the hardness level of tas oak is measured to be only 5.5.
Advantages of Using tas Oak While Making Floors of Domestic Houses
- Makes the Room Brighter – An old house can be given a fresh, new look with the installation of Tasmanian oak flooring. Due to its light shade, this timber renders a certain degree of brightness even to the gloomy attics and dark corners of the house. This type of flooring makes the entire interior look more elegant and matches well with all types of furniture.
- Lasts for Long Time – The durability of the Tasmanian or Australian oak is beyond doubt. Thus, this variety of wood lasts for many years and can be safely used in flooring of residential buildings. The homeowner does not need to worry about the expense of replacing floor slabs very soon.
- Can Hide Stains – In spite of the light shades tas oak can hide all types of stains very easily. This timber absorbs the stains and camouflages them with the natural color of the wood. So, the floors made of this wood is a blessing for the house owners, mainly if there are kids and pets at home.
- Easy Maintenance – The maintenance of wooden floors is much easier, and the Tasmanian oak surface can be cleaned just by wiping with a wet cloth or sponge. Sometimes, occasional sanding may be useful for restoring the original glaze of this timber.
- Can Be Renovated Easily – The old and worn out flooring made of Tasmanian oak can be renovated easily. It can be done without facing much hassle, as needed in case of other types of flooring. Moreover, replacement of flooring with this timber is much affordable and cost effective for the common homeowners.
The house owners can find this tas oak with different commercial names that are used by the sellers in the market. So, lots of modern houses are seen with flooring made of this timber, which adds to the aristocracy of the owners.