If you have been invited to a wedding party of close kin, you already know that the bride is going to look like a princess just out of a fantasy novel. You have a brain-fade all the same when you try to decide what to wear because all of us go through from the customary ‘I have nothing to wear the phrase’. Meanwhile selecting your wedding guest dresses, you have to make sure that you don’t go overboard with it. You are ought to choose the dress in subtle color and pattern to look classy and unpretentious. Here we have laid down some basic principles to select a proper wedding guest dress:
Do’s and Don’ts of Wedding Guest Dresses:
- Stick to the dress code: Most of the weddings are themed nowadays, people will pre-inform you about the wedding dress code, so you can opt for a color which is mentioned in the invite.
- Skip white, cream and ivory: You don’t have to stick to the mundane look of the dress by choosing same old shades like white, ivory or cream. Experiment with colors like blues, yellow and pink, these help in creating a ravishing look and blend perfectly well with the high spirits of marriage.
- Wear a dress as per location: Yes, the wedding location also plays a key role in choosing wedding guest dresses. For example, if the wedding is a place which has high humidity, sticking to layers and covering up too much may leave you exhausted. Try to choose dresses which are stylish and at the same time keeps you comfortable while you enjoy the merriments.
- A strict no-no to jeans: Wedding is a casual affair which obviously doesn’t mean you will have the liberty to walk down in your jeans. Well, no one will put a gun on your forehead otherwise, but you will stick out like a sore thumb that is for sure. Need we say more?
- Stay away from crazy prints: While choosing wedding guest dresses, you must know that you are the guest and must choose prints and shades which are subtler than the bride and the groom. Choosing flashy and crazy prints might get you the wrong kind of attention. Stay miles away from sequins and animal prints in case you are attending a wedding party.
- Stay away from black: It might have come as a heartbreak but black is not always beautiful, you must know this especially when you are attending a wedding. It’s a day of celebration, so you might just want to pep it up with colors like pink, red, blue and yellows. This will brighten up your mood and will also make you look vibrant and pristine. Black is also the color of gloom so it will be insensitive on your part too if you wear this color in a joyous celebration.
- Comfortable shoes: If you really don’t want to end up soaking your legs in a bathtub of hot water and cranking with pain, it’s always good to wear comfortable shoes which will match your outfit and at the same time won’t leave you uncomfortable. There are various options like pumps, platform heels, wedges, and others. Just match them with your outfit, and you can easily create a chic look for the wedding. You may have to stand for hours at a stretch while you socialize at a wedding and wearing pretentious high heels will be hurtful to your ankles.
- Ask what your friends are wearing: If you don’t want to end up dressing as same as your friend, it is always good to ask them what they are wearing before you go ahead.
With these dos and don’ts list, you will be able to create a picture-perfect look for yourself. Remember, dressing up for a wedding can be a daunting task, It is a tight rope walk between subtlety and extravagance. Overdressing is criminal so steer clear of anything that is remotely flashy. Choose the most sophisticated patterns, fabric, and style to grab eyeballs.