Visiting a funeral home is always difficult, especially if you were close to the deceased. However, picking the right funeral flowers can add a touch of warmth, beauty, love, and respect, as you honor the life of the deceased. Different types of flowers and their colors can have different meanings.
If you are confused as to what kind of funeral flowers you should pick, here are a few things to bear in mind. Using these tips can help you a lot for sure.
1. The Type Of Flower Arrangement
You can find different types of flower arrangements, especially for funerals. These include:
- A casket spray, which is a flower arrangement covering the casket
- Bouquets in vases
- Standing arrangements, which can be formed in different shapes and placed beside the casket
Each type of arrangement can be set with flowers of your choice, and the cost of the arrangements will vary according to the choice of the flowers and style.
2. The Religion Of The Deceased
It is important to bear in mind the religion of the deceased, as in many religious funeral ceremonies, it is customary for no presence of flowers (such as Judaism). It is extremely important to keep in mind this religious consideration when picking funeral flowers.
3. The Kind Of Flower
The kind of flower that you choose can have a deeper meaning, other than love and respect for the deceased. Here are a few of the most popular funeral flowers and its significance.
- Lily – Lilies are one of the most popular funeral flowers. The pure white lily signifies that the deceased has returned to a state of pure innocence after passing away. The purity of the lily signifies the purity of the soul of the deceased. You can choose to offer a lily plant, instead of the lily flowers. The lily plant will signify rebirth and will last longer than a flower.
- Orchids – Orchids, with their unique colors, are a beautiful choice for funeral flowers. These flowers simply signify condolences, sympathy, and love for the deceased.
- Daffodils or tulips – Daffodils and tulips are small, beautiful flowers, which can be a great option to offer to the deceased at a funeral home. These flowers mainly are said to symbolize rebirth or renewal. By offering tulips or daffodils, you are stating your wish for the deceased to enjoy a fresh start, a renewed, beautiful life once again after the death.
- Gladioli – Gladiolas are strong, tall flowers, which can measure up to 4 feet in height. These flowers are available in a wide array of colors, each color signifying something meaningful. Gladioli flowers represent a strong moral character of the deceased and are a popular choice for funeral flowers.
- Carnations – These flowers are an extremely popular choice when picking flowers for a funeral. Carnations can be picked in either light pink or white color. The pink carnations are said to signify remembrance of the deceased soul. White carnations, on the other hand, much like other white flowers, are said to represent purity, love, and innocence. Carnations are a long lasting flower, thus a popular choice. They are also extremely sweet smelling and can work beautifully for both male and female displays.
You can also sign a card along with your flowers, with a short message for the family. It can be a simple message such as “Deepest sympathies”, or something like “With love and sympathies, from..”
Choosing the right flowers for a funeral does not need to be an overwhelming decision. Simply choose an arrangement, which you like, pick the right flowers according to what message you would like to signify, and you can send the perfect set of flowers for a funeral.